The Data Protection Principles
As data controllers, medical practitioners must comply with the data protection principles established by data protection legislation. Those principles require that personal data:-- shall be processed fairly and lawfully.
- shall be obtained for one or more specified and lawful purposes and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose/purposes
- shall be adequate, relevant and non excessive.
- shall be kept for no longer than is necessary.
- shall be protected by appropriate technical and organisation security measures.
- shall not be transferred outside the European Economic Area without proper safeguards.